Monday, May 2, 2011

School District Received Nominating Petitions for Board Trustee Positions

[Originally transmitted on Elwood Community Network on 4/18]

I have learned, as many of you have probably already heard through the Elwood grapevine, that qualified nominating petitions, for each of the two seats, have been received by today's 5 PM deadline. I am listing the names alphabetically, but actual position on the ballot is determined by lot.

For the seat presently held by Mike Kaszubski:

1. Walter Gutekunst

2. James Tomeo


For the seat presently held by Patty Matos:

1. Michael LaMena

2. Patty Matos

3. Jack Schwartz


Frankly, I have never met, much less spoken with, either Mr. Gutekunst or Mr. LaMena. Undoubtedly information will develop on both of these individuals, and I will offer comments after that has occurred.

The job of Board of Education Trustee is a grueling one, demanding not only a major investment of time, but also an investment of emotional energy. The fact that this is a totally unpaid and uncompensated position means that we have to respect the dedication of anyone who does this job, and even admire those who are willing to make the commitment to the community and school district, should they be elected.

Since I do know three of the five candidates, I will pass along my own experience with them.

Listing the three alphabeticallly:

Patty Matos - Frankly, I am delightfully surprised that Patty is apparently going to run for re-election; I had been afraid that she would not, despite the fact that I don't think there are even a handful of potential candidates in this community who could hold a candle to her accomplishments, much less defeat her in an election. Patty probably has more friends in Elwood than you or I have in the entire Northeast United States, and those few who don't like her -- well, they simply don't really know her or want to know her.

Patty is the quintessential devoted member of our community, and has been active in the school district for well over twenty years. That includes serving as President of most (if not indeed all) of the PTA units, and she was my immediate predecessor as Elwood PTA Council President.

In addition, Patty has actively served on several committees of this school district, both prior to her 2008 election to the BOE, as well as subsequently. Selfless devotion to the district, and dedication to the entire K though 12 spectrum, as well as continuous and consistent active involvement and volunteer work for the students and the entire school community, are important elements for anyone asking for our trust and support.

Jack Schwartz - Jack, if I recall correctly, is a patent attorney. He was active in the group that was focused, in 2008 and 2009, upon pushing the school district to establish Full Day Kindergarten. As I was a member of only six district committees over the past few years (dropping back to four committees this year, due to so many other demands for my time), I don't know if he served on more than the two where I occasionally but infrequently saw him, the Citizens Finance/Budget Advisory Committee (CFBAC) and the Facilities Committee. He has not actively participated in the CFBAC during the 2010/11 school year.

James Tomeo - I served with James on the Shared Decision-making Committee of John Glenn HS a few years ago, when I was a Parent Member and he was a Student Representative. James graduated from John Glenn in 2007, I think, but I don't know what he has done since that time. I do know that he is a genuinely nice person, and my records also show that he was an unsuccessful candidate for Board Trustee in 2008. What I do find somewhat surprising is that James has apparently not served on any district committees subsequent to his unsuccessful run for the Board of Education, and if someone cared enough about the district to run for the BOE, then I feel that person should have been willing to give it a commitment of active and consistent support in a meaningful way.

Good luck to all of the candidates, and after I am able to develop information about Mr. Gutekunst and Mr. LaMena, I will comment at that time.

Jerry Hannon