Saturday, January 8, 2011

Wow! Maybe Pigs Can Fly After All

I opened my copy of Newsday, while having breakfast Friday morning, and was gratified to note that the Newsday editors had changed the story headline from the incorrect and highly inflammatory "Parents protest Elwood school merger proposal," posted on newsday.com Thursday night, to "Parents pan merger idea." It appears on page A18 of the Friday print edition of Newsday.

Now, that does not mean that the story is any better, but at least the story headline now reflects what their reporter actually wrote.

The fact that twenty-two individuals, out of some 300 + (Newsday's estimate) or 400 + (my estimate) does not represent a majority, and the fact that not all of those twenty-two actually opposed the concept of a merger (should it ever be proposed), is really not reflected in the Newsday story.

I would still emphasize the points which I included in the summary and commentary which I wrote at 01:21 on Friday, shortly after I returned home from the Thursday night Board Meeting/Information Session, and which is the prior post on Elwood Illuminations.